My Own Meal Plan



My name is Alex Giles and I am currently a freshman college student at Southern Utah University. Ever since I was a little girl, I have always loved to cook. Food is a huge part of my life. Growing up,  I was blessed with a mom that provided us with home cooked dinners for our family of six almost every night. Watching her as I grew up has taught me so much about cooking and the importance of eating good, healthy, well balanced meals. I have watched her over the years and now have the opportunity to incorporate the things she taught me into my own life in my own kitchen.

I am currently living off campus with my best friend, in an apartment with 6 roommates. Upon coming to school, I decided that I did not want to be on a meal plan because I know how to cook. I decided that I am now an "adult" and I can handle making myself food. I also felt that by making my own food, I could better control my calorie intake and know what was really going into the food that I am eating. I try to be a healthy eater and plan my meals around nutrient dense foods. I like to think of myself as having my own meal plan.

So far, it has been great! Grocery shopping for one is a lot different then tagging along with my mom at the grocery store while she shopped for six. I quickly learned that I consume a lot less food than I thought in a week. Portion control is something else that I have had to adjust--cooking for one is a lot different than cooking for six. My first week of college, I had pasta leftovers for three days because I had miscalculated how much I eat. But the important thing is that I am learning!

The purpose of this blog is to tell my story about being a freshman in college, and how I am surviving cooking healthy meals for myself on a budget. I'm excited to share my tips and tricks about how to work in a small kitchen, with minimal kitchen utensils, and how to make the best food in a tough situation. Let's get posting!

4 comments

  1. Alex, I'm so excited for your food journey! You are amazingly talented in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teach me! You are amazing and what a great idea to tell your story. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for all of your recipes! You are so smart to be documenting this journey, what a fun time in your life. Thanks for letting us tag along!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top