Cream of Potato meets Cream of Broccoli

Holy cow, two of my most favorite soups just had a baby, a very delicious baby! I saw this recipe on Pinterest and I couldn't believe my eyes. Ever since I can remember, cream of broccoli soup has been my favorite winter time soup, with cream of potato as a close second. I wasn't sure how I felt about mixing the two together, because they both have such strong flavors, but I was immediately put at ease within the first bite. It's definitely worth the hour it takes to make it! Word of advice, don't make this soup at 8 o'clock at night when you are already hungry, because it takes forever to cook and you'll be eating a late dinner. I learned from experience.

Cream of Broccoli meets Cream of Potato Soup Recipe
5 1/2 tbs Butter (divided)
1 1/3 c chopped Carrots
1 c chopped Celery - I didn't use
1 c chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
3 c low sodium chicken broth
3 1/2 c peeled potatos
3 c chopped Broccoli
1/4 dried thyme - I used Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper
6 tbs all purpose flour
3 c Milk
1/2 c greek yogurt
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1/3 c parmesan cheese

In a large pot over medium heat, melt 1 1/2 tbs of butter. Add carrots, celery, and onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in chicken broth, potatoes and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Cover with lid and cook 15 minutes. Stir in broccoli and cook for 5 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.

Meanwhile, melt the remaining 4 tbs of butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Stir in flour and cook, whisking constantly for 1 minute. While whisking vigorously, slowly poor in milk so no clumps form. Cook stirring constantly until mixture starts to gently boil and thicken. Then stir in greek yogurt. Remove from heat and add to veggie mixture. Stir in cheese until melted. Serve warm.







No comments

Back to Top