Broccoli Salad

Last weekend, I was asked to cater a bridal shower. I was so excited because I got to make three salads, work the party, and get my name out there. I chose to make Si Fosters Springtime spinach and citrus salad, Tarragon chicken salad to fill the rolls with, and my broccoli salad. Each recipe turned out to be a great hit and a crowd favorite. I had so much fun catering this bridal shower party for the cute bride.


This broccoli salad has always been one of my favorite salads. It is really easy to make and it taste really good. It is also easy to cut down or double the recipe as needed. The thing with this salad that I find is every recipe makes the mayo dressing look thick and heavy. It almost looks caked on and it tastes like mayo. In my recipe, I tried to keep the dressing lighter, while staying true to the traditional broccoli salad recipe.

Funny story about making this recipe the first time. I did not have any crasins to put in the salad, I had forgotten them from the store. Rather than driving down the hill and to the store again, I chose to improvise. I found a trail mix in the pantry that had crasins mixed into it. Yes, exactly what you are thinking, I dumped out the trail mix and picked out the craisins to use in the salad. They were pretty salty from the trail mix, so I did not salt the rest of the recipe. I felt like I was on an episode of cutthroat kitchen. I loved it.





Broccoli Salad

4-6 cups fresh broccoli
1/4 cup red onion chopped
1/4 pound bacon or four strips crisped and crumbled
1/4 cup craisins
1/4 cup of crunch of choice (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or toasted almonds)

Dressing
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt and peper

Chop broccoli. Take off the tough ends. Toss with onion, craisins, bacon, and crunch. I used roasted pumpkin seeds this last time. Prepare the dressing. Mix together mayo, sugar, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper. Pour over the broccoli and toss. Cover and let sit in fridge for at least an hour. The longer it sits the better it soaks up the dressing.




No comments

Back to Top