Meal Prep: Teriyaki Steak Bowls

As part of my new years resolution and direction that I want to take this blog, I am working on mastering the art of meal prepping. Meal prepping is a very simple and efficient way to promote healthy, home cooked meals for someone with a busy, demanding schedule. Eating healthy is so important for your overall health and what you put into your body is something that needs to be deeply considered.


What is meal prepping? Meal prepping is when you prepare a mass amount of food ahead of time, to be stored and saved to eat throughout the week. Typically, the meals are pre-portioned and require little to no cook time.

Why is meal prepping effective? Meal prepping is effective because it promotes you to eat healthier. We often get in a traps in our days that we don't have time to make something, so we just grab something on the go. There are a limited amount of options for healthy meals at fast food restaurants. I am not saying there aren't any, but they are more difficult to find and typically, more expensive. Meal prepping takes away the stress and time it takes to cook a meal, and has it pre-made ready to be eaten.

What can you meal prep? You can meal prep anything! You can meal prep you lunch for the week by planning it out and preparing it. You can prep a bag of ingredients to put in your smoothie for your rushed morning. You can meal prep a hearty salad to take to work. You can always meal prep for the week.

What do you use to store them? I went to my favorite store ever to get these containers, the Dollar Store. Yes 3 in a pack for 1 dollar. I figure for how much food will be in them and how often they will be used, I will probably be replacing them frequently so I went cheap. They work great!


This week was my first official week of meal prepping. I did some research to find out what types of meals work the best, what foods are best to used, and how to cook in order for the best flavors. Here is what I found

-Undercook meals just a tiny bit if you plan on microwaving meals
-Vegetables do need to be cooked before added to the meal prep dish
-This is a great time for calorie counting, measure your portions
-Make something you wouldn't mind eating over and over again
-Determine if you will eat the dish cold, or hot

Although it seems like it takes a lot of work and you are probably thinking why hassle with this, I promise when you get down to it, it is so convenient. To not have to cook lunch for an entire week, and have healthy home made dishes ready when you get there is an amazing feeling. The cooking is a lot, I wont lie to you, but it is so worth it. Keep in mind I am meal prepping for 2 to have one weeks worth of food. Give it a try this week!


Meal Prepping Teriyaki Steak Bowls

3 cups Brown Rice
4 New York Strip Steaks
1 Bottle of favorite Teriyaki sauce
2 large Broccoli heads
3 Zucchinis
1 White Onion
1 T Olive Oil

Start by put the steaks and 1/2 of the Teriyaki sauce into a zip lock bag and allow it to marinate for 20 minutes. Next, get the brown rice cooking by using whatever method you prefer. I use a rice cooker and it takes over an hour to get brown rice cooked.

These next steps are all done at the same time:

Now, start heating up the grill and preparing the vegetables to be cooked. Chop the broccoli into bite sized chunks, the zucchini into quarters, and the onions into thin slices.

You can now start cooking the steaks on the grill, but do watch them as you are doing other things. I steam my broccoli in a steamer in the microwave. I could only do about 1/4 of the broccoli at a time microwaving for 5 minutes each, so I rotated those through as the steaks are cooking.

I prepared my zucchini and onions in a sauce pan over medium heat in about one tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the vegetables until they are soft and cooked thoroughly.

Once the steak has finished cooking, cube it into bite sized pieces.

Now that everything is cooked, it is time to start building. Start with 1 cup of rice into the bottle of each container. Next, add one serving of steak, and one serving of the vegetables to each container. Seal the containers and place into fridge until ready to eat. Save the remaining teriyaki in the fridge until you are reheating the bowls to keep the rice from becoming soggy. You may then top with extra sauce when reheating.



No comments

Back to Top