Molten Lava Chocolate Cake




Yesterday I had the opportunity to go and volunteer at Orson Gygi for one of their cooking classes! I was beyond excited to go! Even though I was doing the grunt work like set up, clean up, and dishes, I couldn't of been happier! The class that I was volunteering for was a Chocolate Love class. They were going to be making molten lava cakes, peanut butter cups, and learning to temper chocolate and dip. I love chocolate so I was thrilled!
When I first got there, they immediately put me right to work. I got to set up all the dishes, plate the dipping items, measure out the presenters ingredients and so on. When the class arrived and got started, the volunteers were there to help the presenter get things they needed, change out the dishes, and we got to watch a little bit and learn a little bit at the same time ;) It was so much fun! As volunteers, we each got to dip our own items into the chocolate and caramel, and taste some of the cake! We even got to take a plate of chocolates home! I learned so much at my day at Gygi and I am excited to go back and learn even more in the future!


I highly recommend taking classes at Gygi! They are so fun, hands on, and you learn a ton! I have nothing but good things to say about their classes!! 





I was so excited to go home and make the Molten Lava Cakes on my own! I had received the ramekins as a wedding gift earlier last year. If you do not have any ramekins, which as the dishes you need to make each individual cake, you can get them at Gygi's or purchase the same ones I have through the link below! 





The recipe is pretty easy to follow along with! It does call for chocolate to be weighted by ounces, so if you do not have a food scale, I recommend you get yourself one. You can also attempt to do the conversion which isn't as perfect, but it is about 8 tablespoons of chocolate, or 4 ounces on a scale. You can also purchase a electronic food scale at the link below.









A few tips with this recipe:
1. Grease, grease, and grease the ramekins
2. When microwaving chocolate, only heat for 1 minute, then stir chocolate until it melts down. Do not over do it in the microwave or the chocolate will burn
3. The cakes center will look soft when they finish cooking. This is good because that is what makes the center melty and creamy
4. It is best served with whipping cream or ice cream to balance out the rich chocolate flavor. 
5. The recipe calls for bittersweet and semisweet chips, I used double milk chocolate chips and it worked great! Do what you like best!

That is enough talking for one post, lets get cooking! 











Molten Lava Chocolate Cake

1/2 cup butter
2 oz semisweet baking chocolate
2 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray four custard cups with spray and place on a baking sheet. 

Microwave butter and chocolate until the butter is melted, 1 minute. Whist until chocolate is melted. Stir in powdered sugar until well blended. Whist in the eggs and the egg yolks, then add the vanilla. Stir in flour. Divide mixture between the four cups.

Bake until the sides are firm and the center is soft, about 13 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes. Invert on individual plates while warm and serve with whipping cream or vanilla ice cream. 

Enjoy this oey goey creamy loveliness! 

No comments

Back to Top